Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cream of Potato Carrot Soup

The experimental Soup----

3 large carrots
6 small potatoes
1 handful of cilantro chopped
3 cups of water
2 cups of milk
1.5 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of oil
1 small onion
salt/pepper and tony chachere spice added to taste

Parmesian type of cheese added on top for extra flavor

This dish was extremely excitng to make because it was my first time making soup and most of the ingredients I bought at the farmers market in Union Square.

Cheese is from Hawthorne Valley Farm - called Alpine, an aged cheese that tastes like parm/romano. It is not made with animal rennet, which is hard to find in these type of cheeses.

I browned the onions in veg oil. Then added carrots cut up as well as the potatoes and let cook for a few minutes. I then added the water and milk and let it cook for about 25 minutes. I let it cool for about 10 min and then added the mixture to a food processor/blendar to puree with the cilantro. I put back in the pot and cooked for another 30 min or so on a low flame, and added seasonings including salt, pepper & tony chachere (made of red pepper, salt, garlic powder)

I topped off in my individual bowl with the Alpine hard cheese. Defnitley came out well for a first time soup and would make it again! The only thing I would think about changing is possibly using more carrot, less potato and possbly more cilantro. Another idea is to roast a garlic or 2 and puree that with the soup mixture.

No comments: